header image

Entrepreneurial Magnitude

This last Wednesday our guest speaker was Jeremy Hanks from Dropship.com, a very good speaker, Mr. Hanks describes himself on his blog as an “entrepreneurial junkie striving daily to blow minds & melt faces.”

Before I go further into this blog, I want you to take a moment to check out the following link: CLICK HERE!

So, even though we see ourselves and our surroundings, we forget about the magnitude of possibilities that are out there, bigger and smaller.

Here’s what was interesting about Mr. Hank’s presentation, he made sure to enforce the idea of the magnitude of entrepreneurship. A lot of our speakers have introduced the idea of problem solving and working in stride with advancing technologies, but Mr. Hanks extended that into the idea that technologies are not just expanding, they are expanding because of entrepreneurship. For every advancement in technology, there will be 10 more bigger (or smaller) advancements in the future and it is the entrepreneurs that come in and fill the “problem solving” gaps needed to make the next step.

Is your mind still blown? Having a hard time comprehending?

Yes? Good. Let’s go further. Mr Hanks introduced this quick video clip: AT&T

It’s an add from AT&T from 1993 visualizing what they thought the future would be. It’s funny to watch now because not only can you do these things, but the technology is better than the vision that they imagined. This was only 20 years ago! (Granted, not all predictions from 20 years ago have come true. Where is my flying skateboard?)

But AT&T definitely had innovation in mind, progress for mankind. They just didn’t expect that all of this technology would be able to fit into one device in the palm of your hand. Cellphones can now take pictures, hold digital books, track your GPS, entertain your kids with games, text message, play movies, connect to the internet, and… umm… oh yeah, still make phone calls.

If Moore’s Law (as discussed in the lecture) can tell us the the number of transistors on an integrated circuit can double every two years, does that mean that there is a similar law of entrepreneurship? Can it be said that with every advancement in technology at least two opportunities in entrepreneurship are created? (If so, I claim it as Carter’s Law.) Is it true that there are more opportunities today than there were 100 years ago? Or is the availability for opportunities just greater? (Or, reversely, with every creation is there less opportunity because one thing has been taken out of the infinitesimal opportunity bucket?)

The last thing I want to leave you with is the Fitbit. I particularly love that Mr. Hanks brought this up, because I have one as well. The Fitbit is basically a pedometer, but, unlike most pedometers, it has (like cell phones) made advancements that enable it to measure staircases, calories burned, activity level, sleep efficiency, and challenges against friends, among other things. Like Mr. Hanks, I have a hard time leaving the house without it on. I can barely take a step without it. This is similar to the increasing Nomophobia that is sweeping the tech advantaged world. The power to create has it’s dark side, but that won’t stop creation. Entrepreneurs need to move forward with open minds and positive intentions.

~ by Jeff Carter on March 31, 2013 .

4 Responses to “Entrepreneurial Magnitude”

1.   DeAnn Says:

Cool commercials. I never saw them, but it’s funny how I can watch the and tick off all the things they suggest that my phone can do. Sype, GPS, amazon kindle for andriod, netflix, etc. LOL

2.   Gregg Sirrine Says:

I like Carter’s law! One thing your comments made me think of is how sometimes these advances or new opportunities have to drag society forward with them. Often, with a technology advancement there is a lag between the leap forward and the opportunities it creates as people have to learn how to adapt. Society has to move forward with the advance or be left behind. People sometimes need new skills to take advantage of the opportunities as technology makes previously manual skills or labor obsolete. The education baseline required to stay competitive seems to continually be pushed higher.

3.   Bryce Spere Says:

I really enjoyed Jeremy Hanks’ presentation and his push for entrepreneurship. I loved his stories and all the items he brought up on his screen, or his visual aids, to show that the brain is capable of some amazing things. At times it is difficult to imagine what possibilities are out there, and what will present itself as new technologies and advances are invented. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

One part of his discussion that stuck out to me was his thoughts on how we all have “defects” and that we are all wired differently to do something. One statement that really impressed me was when he stated, “Everyone in this room is capable of doing something great.” I agree with Jeremy and truly look forward to seeing what many in the MBA program end up doing.

4.   Marshall Wilson Says:

Jeremy really did focus most of his presentation on magnitude and spent very little time on his company unlike other presenters have done. He was so passionate about magnitude and one of the reasons why is because he feels that magnitude=opportunity. This magnitude is what has lead to various inventions and reason why so many people continue to strive to invent and create new products. I thought it was interesting how he explained that in the very near future we will be able to map our entire DNA and this mapping will tell us what the future may hold as far as health goes. This is so instrumental because it will help people to prepare now for the future. I know that we should wait for the inventions of the future to have good health but it will lead to a healthy generation of people. Jeremy may not have demonstrated the passion of his business as much as other have but he definitely demonstrated passion for magnitude which has caused him to be an entrepreneur.